Designing Effective Treatment (DEFT)
Programmes for pain, Long COVID and other chronic conditions
21 CPD Points
*Previously known as Patient Empowerment Pain Programs (PEPP)
This course aims to enable health care professionals to systematically approach complex chronic conditions and effectively deliver evidence-based interventions to restore patients to their valued lives. A Pain Education Empowerment Programme (PEEP) workbook is supplied to each participant. The workbook provides a guide that facilitates patient engagement and participation. Health care professionals working with patients with chronic health conditions such as chronic pain conditions (e.g. CLBP, fibromyalgia), osteoarthritis, pain in HIV/AIDS, chronic fatigue/ME and Long Covid will benefit from attending this course.
By the end of this module participants will:
- Know how to explain pain mechanisms (Pain Neuroscience Education) appropriately in simple lay terms
- Know how to select patients appropriately for individual and group-based interventions
- Know how to use screening tools and questionnaires appropriately in assessing and evaluating outcomes of patients
- Know how to assess your patient’s motivation and stage of change and adapt treatment accordingly
- Know how to design and execute an exercise program according to patient profiles
- Know how to facilitate goal setting
- Know how to deliver a mindfulness or relaxation-based activity
- Know how to use self-management tools (contained in the P.E.E.P. workbooks) to adapt a programme appropriately to the healthcare professionals’ unique setting and patient population
MPhil Sports Science
Professional, funny, entertaining, inspiring, WISE...
Thank you all for a wonderful and immersive experience. Definitely one of the most rewarding workshops I’ve ever attended...
“I thought I was working in a biopsychosocial manner, but the Clinical Communication Skills course just blew my mind... Outstanding!”
Phenomenally presented and put together.
Principles of Pain is an amazing course that really enhances your learning and understanding of pain.
An eye opening experience... Wish I had come across the Principles of Pain course earlier! Extremely well prepared and presented.