Dr Janieke van Nugteren MBBCh (Wits) DA FCA
- Consultant Anaesthetist: Department of Anaesthesia and Perioperative Medicine
- Head: Pain Management Unit- Groote Schuur Hospital: 2009-present.
- Registrar: Department of Anaesthesia UCT: 2005-2009.
- Medical officer: Kimberley Hospital: Anaesthesia and ICU: 2004.
- United Kingdom: Orthopaedic and A&E locums: 2003
- Community Service: Kimberley Hospital/ Kuruman Hospital: 2002.
- Internship: Paarl Hospital: 2001.
- MBBCh (University of the Witwatersrand): 2000.
- I have been the head of the Chronic Pain Management Unit at Groote Schuur Hospital since 2009.I have successfully re-established an inter-disciplinary team which now comprises Physiotherapy, Psychiatry and Psychology.
- We offer multi-disciplinary assessment together with a 6- week Pain Management Course, interventional procedures together with Pain Neuroscience education
- I am a member of IASP and a previous council member of PainSA (2015-2018).
- Supervisor MMed dissertation: Dr Marisa Nock: Multidisciplinary management of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type 1 in Children admitted to Red Cross War Memorial Hospital: A Case series describing long-term effects on Pain, Function and Quality of Life. 2016
- Supervisor MMed dissertation: Dr Bridget Magni: Intraoperative nausea and vomiting in patients undergoing elective caesarean section. Published SAAJA 2016
- Supervisor MMed dissertation: Dr Embee Groenewald: Burnout and contributory organizational risk factors amongst state- employed anaesthesiologists at Groote Schuur Hospital
- Supervisor MMed dissertation: Dr Blessing Mashanda-Tafaune: Pain, knowledge and attitudes survey amongst final year medical students at the University of Cape Town: An 11- year follow-up study
- Supervisor MMed dissertation: Dr Joe van Vreede: The prevalence of depression in patients presenting with chronic pain to a tertiary hospital Pain Management Clinic in South Africa
-Supervisor MMed dissertation: Dr Lauren Dougall: The perioperative management of total abdominal hysterectomy patients at an academic hospital
- Editorial SAAJA SAJAA 2016, Vol 4. Guest editorial: Understanding persistent postoperative pain in South Africa.
- Article. Intraoperative nausea and vomiting in patients undergoing elective caesarean section. Published SAJAA 2016
- Lay press article Medical Chronicle: Medical marijuana
- Co- author: SAMF Anaesthesia chapter
- Organiser PainSA congress Johannesburg, May 2018
- Organiser/ Speaker Pain Symposium September 2015 UCT Dept. of Anaesthesia
- Attended: Japan- International Association for the Study of Pain World Congress, September 2016
- Participated: Cape Town Mundipharma / Cardiff Faculty “Train the Trainers”, August 2014.
- Attended: Buenos Aires- International Association for the Study of Pain World Congress, October 2014.
- Course: FATE course Cape Town, June 2015
- Course: Cape Town Transoesophageal Echo Course, October 2014.
- Attended: Cape Town World Congress of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine, November 2014.
- Poster presentation: IASP World Congress Milan, Italy, August 2012: The demographics of patients using morphine for non-cancer pain in a South African Teaching Hospital Chronic Pain Management Unit.
- Speaker PG Dip in Interdisciplinary pain Management, Cape Town May 2018: Pharmacological management of chronic pain
- Speaker PainSA congress, Johannesburg May 2018: The gut biome and what we know about visceral pain
Member of team presenting Pain Physiology workshop
- Speaker SASA congress, Cape Town April 2018: The chronic pain patient for spinal surgery
- Speaker: South African Addictions Medicine Society Symposium August 2017: Opioids in non- cancer Pain
- Speaker: PGDip Pain May 2017: Role of interventions in Chronic Pain Management
- Speaker: Post grad diploma in Palliative care July 2016: Chronic pain introduction
- Speaker Pain Symposium June 2016 UCT Dept. of Anaesthesia
- Speaker: PainSA congress Durban 2016: Perceived Injustice
- Speaker General Surgery Dept. February 2017: Introduction to Chronic pain.
- Speaker: PainSA congress Jhb 2015: CRPS Update.
- Speaker: Wits Pain Symposium Jhb 2015: CRPS Update.
- Speaker: Diploma in Anaesthesia (Cape Town) February 2014.
- Speaker: SASA (Cape Town) March 2012: Is there a role for pre-emptive analgesia?
- Speaker: PainSA (Pretoria) June 2012: Patient Controlled Analgesia.